Bygone are the days when you have to take hours and hours to brew a pot of coffee in your kitchen or break your back to do so. The technology of present days has taken us to the place where we can get Mocha Latte on our bed without having to rush to prepare it. A good cup of coffee can make your day; however, on the other hand, a bad coffee can dent your mood and ruin it.
If you are a coffee maniac, then having a gourmet coffee brewer on your kitchen shelf is not less than a blessing. Among the tons of coffee makers out there in the market, Keurig is the one glittery name that has won the hearts of tons of coffee lovers, globally.
Keurig Coffee Makers – An Introduction:
Keurig coffee makers or Keurig Green Mountain is one of the finest coffee maker brands in the world that has been working to enhance your experience with your coffee for more than 35 years. The company has been around for a while, but with its classic and gourmet coffee makers, it has been found in more than 20 million homes and offices all across the North America.
There are a number of single serve coffee makers available by this brand in the market and regardless to say, these machines are a wonderful addition to your kitchen appliances. The Keurig coffee makers range from the Keurig B31 Mini Plus Brewer to the Keurig Special Edition B60 Gourmet Single Serve Coffee Maker and that’s what make this brand so much popular among the housewives as well as among small restaurants.
Keurig Coffee Maker Problems and Their Solutions:
Although you might get a large variety of great products from Keurig, still there are a number of complaints by the customers who are using it. Right from the Keurig machine not working to Keurig not drawing water, from Keurig malfunction to Keurig stuck on brewing, there could be a number of problems that you could be facing with your coffee maker from Keurig.
If you are the one suffering from these pesky problems with your Keurig Coffee Maker then you are lucky to be here, as I am going to list some of the most potential troubleshooting knowledge for Keurig coffee maker problems with you.
#1: Keurig not working:
The most common complaint about the Keurig coffee makers that can be seen over the internet is that my Keurig stopped working or it simply quits working after a shorter period of time. The same complaint was found in online reviews as well where almost 10% buyers complained about the same issue and want assistance in Keurig troubleshoot.
Reason: The main reason of this common problem with Keurig coffee makers is the quality of water you are using. If you are using well water in these coffee makers, the chances are that being rich in a variety of minerals including Calcium, the debris can build within thin water lines of the coffee maker, making it difficult to work. This means, you are not facing any kind of technical problem with the machine and it could easily be fixed and discouraged with care while using water.
- In order to fix the problem Keurig coffee maker not working, you should try running the machine with water several times without a k-cup.
- If the problem is due to the calcium scaling in the machine, you can de-scale it with vinegar mixed with a lot of water and soaking it in the solution for half an hour. (This method is not recommended by Keurig and using it might void your warranty). After that, flush the machine several times with fresh water and then try to start it.
- Also, cleaning the dispensing line with something like a paper clip (when the machine is turned off and unplugged) can be helpful in removing the leftover coffee grounds from it.
- Another method is to blow air using a straw to give it a clean-up.
#2: Keurig machine not brewing:
Your mind will definitely blow up when you will find that your Sun of the kitchen – your coffee maker is not at all brewing. Keurig not brewing is another common complaint from the users after my Keurig is not working, that most of the users have mentioned in their reviews. This issue could arise for a single or a combination of these reasons.
Reason: The first prominent cause of Keurig machine, not brewing is the deposit of debris within the machine. If this is the reason alone, Keurig will not brew your coffee and you will end up with bad coffee. Some other reasons due to which your coffee maker might not be brewing include the:
- Air bubbles
- Machine pieces are not seated properly
- Insufficient warm up time
- If the debris deposit is the primary reason, try using the above-mentioned fixes in the “Keurig not working” segment.
- For Air bubbles, fill the water reservoir to the brim and give it a few gentle shakes, when the machine is unplugged and switched off. This ensures the removal of all the air bubbles trapped within the coffee maker that might be interfering with the brewing.
- The other thing that you can try for Keurig troubleshooting not brewing is checking if all the components or parts of the machine are seated properly, in their correct placement. Just give it a check and you might save your couple of bucks.
- Insufficient warm up time will not allow the coffee to brew. So make sure that you are allowing enough warm up time to brew.
If you are facing the same problem with your Keurig mini and your Keurig mini not brewing, try using the above-mentioned fixes will surely minimize your problem.
#3: Keurig not dispensing:
Keurig not dispensing water is another common issue with the Keurig coffee makers. There are a number of customer reviews that can be found online complaining about the dispensing issue with Keurig and wondering why is my Keurig not working to dispense water out.
Reason: This problem indicates that your Keurig is clogged.
- To unclog the machine, try running a cup of water through it. You can also clean the needle, spout and the drain using a paper clip or something like that.
#4: Keurig water not coming out:
Water not coming out from the Keurig coffee maker is another issue that many Keurig customer might face with their machines.
Reason: Partial water or no water coming out from the coffee maker is a result of clogging of water line that causes a significant reduction in a brewing cycle. So if you are wondering why is my Keurig not brewing? The answer is really simple that you might have got your water line clogged. The solution for this problem is thankfully really simple.
- Operating the brewing cycle with simple water, just a few times, without k-cups can be helpful in fixing the issue.
- Also, de-scale the clogged water lines and the needles to remove all the excess grounds and debris that are preventing the water from coming out.
#5. Keurig not heating:
If you’re wondering why is my Keurig not working, there may be many reasons attached to it. You should also know how to do Keurig troubleshooting and how to reset a Keurig so that you can come out of these malfunction situations. Following are some of the reasons attached to the ‘Keurig not heating’ issue:
Some people complain regarding issues like Keurig not drawing water, Keurig stuck on brewing, Keurig water not coming out, and keurig not dispensing. There may be a condition when your Keurig maker is dispensing water but not heating it. This is because the heating mechanism of the Keurig coffee maker is not working properly. Following are the reasons that can cause Keurig not heating issues:
- The water pump is out of order and not functioning properly.
- The heating device inside the coffee maker shuts down due to overheating issues when water is not being pumped properly.
- Water pump is not working on maximum efficiency.
- Sometimes dirt and dried coffee gets accumulated and cause clogging which results in Keurig malfunction.
- If you think that dirt, debris, or dried coffee has accumulated inside the coffee maker, you should clean it. You can learn about How to clean coffee maker
- If the water pump is not working properly, you must be having ‘add water’ issues. You can avoid this by cleaning the water reservoir.
- Hold the brew button for some seconds so that the water pump can work on its maximum efficiency.
- Have the water pump repaired.
- If nothing helps, try using hot water for your Keurig coffee maker.
#6. Keurig Doesn’t Turn On Or Shuts Off In Between:
You might be feeling fussy because you had a bad start of your day? Is your Keurig not working? This can be horrifying particularly because the weather is too chilly and you don’t want your nose to frozen up. Let’s find the reasons why your Keurig is not turning on. Keurig coffee makers troubleshooting tips are discussed after the reasoning.
- Sometimes air or bubbles get trapped into some tubes and places where they shouldn’t be. While the machine is turned off, these things get clogged and make the switch button out of order.
- Sometimes the magnetic water reservoir is not properly sealed and this causes the Keurig coffee maker to remain switched off.
- Keurig is not getting enough time to warm up and the water isn’t getting hot enough.
- The water reservoir is not filled up properly.
- If your Keurig won’t turn on, make sure it is properly plugged in.
- Hold the power button and check if the power icon appears on the bottom of the screen along with a welcome note. If the icon doesn’t appear, there might be a problem with the touch screen.
#7. My Coffee Starts Tasting Bad:
Have you ever wondered why can coffee go bad? Well if you haven’t changed your coffee brand, you must consider what is causing your coffee to change its taste. If you’re the person who can’t live without your coffee then you shouldn’t suffer from your coffee tasting odd. There must be some reasons behind this issue too.
- The difference in taste mostly occurs due to buildup of scaling in the Keurig coffee maker.
- Use of regular water or tap water for brewing can cause scaling to build up fast.
- Mineral build up can cause your coffee start tasting odd.
- It is necessary that your Keurig coffee maker goes through a descaling or cleaning process every two to three months.
- The advanced models of Keurig coffee maker gives you alerts when it needs descaling.
- Always use boiled or filtered water for brewing your coffee, because tap water has lots of residue and minerals that can accumulate in the machine and buildup scaling.
- Get a descaling product and clean your machine properly by de-assembling it and cleaning each and every part.
- There is a home remedy for cleaning your coffee maker too. You can use a vinegar and water solution to clean the dirt, debris, and residue accumulated in the coffee maker.
8. Keurig Won’t Reset:
If you want to know how to reset a Keurig, we are here for you. Sometimes your Keurig may annoy you because it won’t reset, this may be due to a Keurig malfunction issue but it can be solved easily. However, if the problem persists you must contact the Keurig customer care as it might need a repair or replacement. Learn about the reasons and then try the Keurig troubleshooting tips to get rid of this problem.
- The coffee maker is not put together properly or the magnetic reservoir is not sealed properly.
- Air gets trapped between various parts of the machine and thus Keurig malfunction occurs.
- There must be some problem with the internal system of your Keurig coffee maker. The computer or device may have stopped working properly.
- Turn the coffee maker off and keep it unpluged for some minutes.
- Plug in the machine back and start a brew cycle again. If unplugging doesn’t work try the following steps.
- Remove the water reservoir before plugging the machine and keep the brewer unplugged for sometimes without water and without the reservoir attached.
- Plug the Keurig and power the coffee maker, replace the reservoir.
- Opening and closing the K-cup holder will reset the coffee maker if the brew cycle was interrupted.
A Potential Fix to All Other Keurig Coffee Maker Problems:
Being an electronics machine, Keurig can experience technical issues that might not be fixed with the above-mentioned solutions. These issues might include:
- Display fails to change from “not ready” to “ready”
- The machine failing to turn on
- Keurig not heating
- Display freezing
- Loss of power prior to the completion of the brew cycle
If you are facing any of these issues, a potential fix is to reset the coffee maker. If you are wondering how to reset a Keurig, here’s how you can do it:
Basic Resetting Keurig Coffee Maker:
- Turn the machine off and unplug it for a few hours.
- Remove the water reservoir from the machine and allow the brewer to sit unplugged for few minutes without water reservoir.
- Power the machine again and then replace the reservoir.
If this Keurig troubleshooting doesn’t work, try the advanced technique to reset the internal computer to resolve the glitches. Here’s how to use advanced resetting:
Advanced Resetting Keurig Coffee Maker:
- Simultaneously press the “small” and “medium” cups button and release them at the same time.
- Press the “Menu” button thrice immediately after the first step.
- The clock will read “6:09” if these steps are performed perfectly.
- After you see “6:09” on the display, press the “menu” button again.
- The display button would go to “brew 0:00″.
- Now, press the “Medium mug” button and then press and release “menu”, while still pressing the “medium mug” button.
- Press the small mug button, while continue holding the medium mug button, at the same time.
- Unplug the machine several times and plug it again.
This process will reset the internal computer of the Keurig Machine and hopefully, all your coffee maker issues will be solved. Use this Keurig coffee maker troubleshooting guide to fix all your coffee maker issues and enjoy your morning cup of joy.