Alright, who actually wants an alarm clock? But until the day that we’re all retired and can sleep to our heart’s content, that’s just out of the question. That being said, this doesn’t mean an alarm clock on your phone is necessarily the best option. Today, we’re going to tell you about some of the best alarm clocks out there — whether you’re a chronic sleep-through-the-alarm person or you just consistently want to throw your alarm clock against the wall, one of these X alarm clocks should do the trick for you.
Here at Home Kitchenary, we primarily focus on kitchen reviews, but we have lots of other categories we write about as well: coffee, garden, bedroom, and bathroom. At our core, we’re a product review website; so whether that means recommending the best warming trays or writing a quicker overview on the best alarm clocks, we’re the site for you.
First, let’s establish exactly why using your phone as an alarm clock isn’t the best option.
Disadvantages of Using Your Phone as Your Alarm Clock
- Over-reliance on technology: By using your phone as an alarm clock, you are relying on technology to wake you up every day. If your phone’s battery dies or malfunctions, you may oversleep or miss important appointments.
- Distractions: If you keep your phone by your bed, you may be tempted to check your notifications or social media before going to sleep or after waking up. This can disrupt your sleep and make it harder to wake up in the morning.
- Blue light exposure: The blue light emitted by your phone’s screen can interfere with your natural sleep patterns and make it harder to fall asleep. Using your phone as an alarm clock means exposing yourself to this light first thing in the morning.
- Reduced sleep quality: If you use your phone as an alarm clock, you may be tempted to hit snooze and go back to sleep multiple times. This can disrupt your sleep cycle and make you feel groggy and unrefreshed when you finally get up.
- Dependency on the device: Using your phone as an alarm clock may make it harder for you to disconnect from work or social media, leading to increased stress and anxiety. Additionally, the constant use of your phone may cause you to feel more attached to it and less able to function without it.
Advantages of Using a Traditional Alarm Clock
Now, these advantages may seem pretty self-explanatory after looking at the disadvantages of using your phone, but they’re still important to note:
- No distractions: Unlike a phone, an alarm clock doesn’t have social media notifications or other apps that can distract you before going to bed or when you wake up in the morning. This can help you stay focused and minimize any anxiety or stress that may come with constant phone usage.
- No blue light exposure: Many alarm clocks use dim red light or no light at all, which can help minimize blue light exposure and promote better sleep quality.
- No battery issues: An alarm clock that plugs into an outlet or uses batteries is not dependent on your phone’s battery life. This means you can be sure that the alarm will go off even if your phone dies or malfunctions.
- Encourages better sleep habits: By keeping your phone away from your bed, you can create a healthier sleep environment and reduce the temptation to use your phone late at night or first thing in the morning. Using a traditional alarm clock can also encourage you to stick to a consistent sleep schedule, which can improve your overall sleep quality.
- More reliable: A traditional alarm clock is designed specifically to wake you up on time, whereas your phone has multiple functions that can sometimes cause it to malfunction or fail to wake you up. An alarm clock is a simpler and more reliable option for ensuring that you wake up on time.
What’s the Big Deal?
Yes, you should absolutely do what is best for you. But, generally speaking, it’s clear that a traditional alarm clock is better. The reason we’re even doing this bog is because it came to mind when I was struggling with the time change this morning. With daylight savings time, I love that my phone wakes me up at the right time without me needing to do some antiquated “change your clocks” the night before. That being said, I also really appreciate the benefits that come when I use my more traditional alarm clock. And let me be clear: “traditional” alarm clock doesn’t mean old, out of date, hard to program, or ugly. It simply means an alarm clock that isn’t on my phone.
As a busy adult, my sleep has become even more important than ever. Gone are the days when I could pass out in an airplane seat for a couple hours and be just fine for traveling the next day. Now, an alarm clock isn’t going to fix extraneous circumstances like that, but it can help in my day-to-day life with getting better sleep.
Getting a full night’s rest is essential for maintaining good physical and mental health. Here are some of the benefits of getting enough sleep:
- Improved mood: Lack of sleep can lead to irritability, mood swings, and an overall negative mood. Getting enough sleep can improve your emotional well-being, make you more patient, and help you feel more optimistic.
- Better memory and cognitive function: Sleep plays a crucial role in consolidating memories and learning new information. Getting enough sleep can help improve your cognitive function, including attention, concentration, and problem-solving skills.
- Increased physical performance: Getting enough sleep can boost athletic performance, improve endurance, and reduce the risk of injuries.
- Better immune function: Sleep helps boost the immune system, making you less susceptible to infections and illnesses.
- Reduced risk of chronic diseases: Lack of sleep has been linked to an increased risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Getting enough sleep can help reduce the risk of these conditions.
- Improved productivity and creativity: A full night’s sleep can help you feel more alert and focused, leading to increased productivity and creativity during the day.
Now, if sleeping better can do all that AND an alarm clock can help me get there? Well then, I’m going to find the best alarm clocks I can for our readers.
The Best Alarm Clocks, Explained
Modern and Simple
This is what I mean when I say that “traditional” alarm clock doesn’t need to mean boring and unreliable. For such a simple design (and fantastic price!), you may be surprised by all the bells and whistles that come with this option.
- Color and Time Options: You can choose between a blue, red, or white (when you purchase) display. You can also choose between a 12- or a 24-hour format for the display.
- LED Display: This display has more to it than just the color options I mentioned above. With the LED display, you can see it well at any time of the day; additionally, there are six levels of brightness so you can find what works best for you.
- Versatile Alarms: There are two different alarm volumes available (ranging from 75-85dB). There are also three different alarm sounds to welcome you to the day: beeping, chords, and bird songs.
- Snooze: Just because you’re trying to wake up more easily doesn’t mean you can’t still snooze a bit, am I right? The snooze button is easy to access and allows for 9 minutes of snooze time.
- Works in Case of Power Outage: This alarm clock is powered by plugging into the USB port. There is a battery backup in case of a power outage. Though the screen will be blank and the alarm won’t sound during an outage, the battery will memorize the settings and display the correct time as soon as power returns.
- Fantastic Reviews and Price: With 1,271 global reviews (at the time this was written) categorizing this as 4.5/5, there’s a solid chance this is the best alarm clock for you. And you don’t have to break the bank to find out! Again, at the time this was written, it is 35% off, making it only $16.99. Regardless of a sale or not, the company also offers two-packs, which can also save you money.
- Product Dimensions: 5.75″ W x 3.03″ H
Large and in Charge
When I say “large,” I don’t necessarily mean that it won’t fit conveniently on a nightstand; however, I do mean it should wake up your teenagers that are heavy sleepers!
- Easy to Use: Are we sick of modern alarm clocks being too difficult to even use? I’m just saying, you shouldn’t need to pull out the instruction manual just to turn off the alarm in the morning. That’s not a problem with this alarm clock, which has clearly labeled buttons that are also easy to feel, whether it’s late at night and dark or you’re just bleary-eyed in the morning.
- Versatility Galore: Let’s say you and your partner wake up at different times. Or perhaps two of your kids share the same room but have different schedules. Not a problem! What makes this one of the best alarm clocks is that you can conveniently set two different alarms. But that’s not all when it comes to versatility. Other options include the 4-level adjustable volume, 5-level brightness capabilities, and the option of 12- or 24-hour format.
- Large Display: The 7″ LED display is easy to see across the room or up close, and it’s ideal for heavy sleepers (while not being a problem for light sleepers).
- Charging Capability: This alarm clock with phone charger allows you to charge your smartphone, iPad, or any other smart device right there on your nightstand without having to reach inconveniently for an outlet on the wall. This alarm clock also features a battery backup that will maintain time and alarm settings even in the event of power failure.
- Reliable: In case, well, anything happens, this alarm clock provides a 365-day product warranty.
- Product Dimensions: 7.62″ W x 3.13″ H
A World of Zen
Looking to bring the spa into your bedroom? I don’t blame you. Whether you’re someone who struggles with waking up or not, this alarm clock and sound machine is sure to help you wake up on the right side of the bed. The only downside to the Hatch Restore alarm clock (which is really so much more than just an alarm clock) is the price; but with all the benefits it provides and the optional payment plan, it may just end up being the best alarm clock for you regardless.
- More Than Just an Alarm Clock: Hatch Restore is an alarm clock, but it’s also a sound machine and smart light that helps you wind down and wake up gently each day. This versatile alarm clock can help you effectively set a personal sleep routine — and stick to it.
- Light: Customize your wake up time with the light that supports healthy cortisol levels.
- Versatility: From customizing the light colors and brightness to the sounds and white noise, you can get exactly what you need.
- Tech that Works: It’s not time for another meaningless app. And this app isn’t that. You can use the app to control the alarm clock, or you can use the soft-touch buttons on the alarm itself. The app also provides additional content to help you wind down in time for bed. It also includes a free trial of Hatch Sleep Membership, an optional in-app subscription that will then give you unlimited access to content: meditations, sleep stories, soundscapes, etc.
- Product Dimensions: 7.5″ W x 2.75″ D x 5.75″ H
Wake Up with the Sun
This is the alarm clock that I actually use myself! While there are a couple things I don’t love (they’re really more user error if I’m being completely honest), it has been a great option for me as a heavy sleeper.
- Sunrise Simulation: This is similar to the Hatch Restore alarm clock, but it is a full circle instead. This is great for everyone, but is really ideal for heavy sleepers and children. The reason this is the best alarm clock for me is because it doesn’t just go from no light to a blaring sunrise right next to me; it gradually goes from 10% to 100% brightness in the 30 minutes leading up to your designate alarm time. 30 minutes too long for you? You can have the brightness increase in 10 or 20 minutes instead.
- Bright and Light Versatility: There are seven different colors of lights you can choose from: blue, indigo, purple, red, orange, yellow, and green. There are also three levels of LED time display brightness and 20 levels of light brightness.
- Heavy Sleeper Defense: We’ve already said why it’s good for heavy sleepers, but it also will only let you snooze your alarm up to five times.
- Radio and Sounds: You can connect to FM radio for all stations with frequency 76-108 MHz. It also offers seven different alarm sounds: birdsong, ocean wave, streams, beep, wind bells, soft music, and piano music. There are 16 different levels of volume.
- Night Light: The “sun” doesn’t just come on with your alarm. You can use it as a bedside lamp, night light, or reading lamp with the click of one button! You can then adjust its brightness depending on what you’re using it for.
Home Kitchenary: Your Product Review Website
Sleep is an integral part of self-care. We hope this blog helped you find the best alarm clock for you and that you a restful night of sleep — with a productive morning to follow. Here are some other blogs you can check out while you’re here:
- Looking to relax more before bed? Check out our post on the best massage chairs.
- Need that coffee as soon as you wake up? Take a look at the best espresso machines.
- Want to turn your home into a relaxing haven? Learn more about the best grow lights for indoor plants.
- In a funk with your recipes? Check out recipes for smoothies, food, cocktails, and more.
Leave a Reply