Bygone are the days when you have to take hours and hours to brew a pot of coffee in your kitchen or break your back to do so.
The technology of present days has taken us to the place where we can get Mocha Latte in our bed without rushing to prepare it.
A good cup of coffee can make your day 🙂 however, on the other hand, a bad coffee can dent your mood and ruin it 🙁
And that’s why you’re here to find the solution of your Keurig coffee maker problems.
If you’re a coffee maniac, then having a gourmet coffee brewer on your kitchen shelf is not less than a blessing.
Among the tons of coffee makers out there in the market, Keurig is the one glittery name that has won the hearts of tons of coffee lovers, globally.
Keurig Coffee Makers – An Introduction:
Keurig coffee makers or Keurig Green Mountain is one of the finest coffee maker brands in the world that has been working to enhance your experience with coffee for more than 35 years.
The company has been around for a while with its classic and gourmet coffee makers. It has been found in more than 20 million homes and offices all across North America.
There are a number of single serve coffee makers available by this brand in the market and needless to say, these machines are a wonderful addition to your kitchen appliances.
The Keurig coffee makers range from the Keurig B31 Mini Plus Brewer to the Keurig Special Edition B60 Gourmet Single Serve Coffee Maker and that’s what makes this brand so popular for domestic as well as commercial use.
Keurig Coffee Maker Problems and Their Solutions:
Although you might get a large variety of great products from Keurig, there are still a number of complaints by the customers who use it every day. As with most machines, Keurig malfunction is something that may or may not happen.
Right from the Keurig machine not working to Keurig not drawing water, from Keurig malfunction to Keurig stuck on brewing and Keurig leaking water when heating, there is a number of problems that you could be facing with your coffee machine from Keurig.
Keurig 2.0 problems are also something you might face, but most of them are easy to fix. Simple solutions such as Keurig 2.0 reset often apply thought not many people know how to reset Keurig 2.0.
Most problems are easily fixable which you’ll see in our troubleshoot Keurig coffee makers guide below
If you are the one suffering from these pesky problems with your Keurig Coffee Maker then you are lucky to be here, as I am going to list some of the most potential troubleshooting knowledge for Keurig coffee maker problems with you.
These are the solutions to the most common Keurig malfunction problems that occurs with some of the machines.
#1: Keurig not working:
The most common complaint about the Keurig coffee makers that can be seen over the internet is that my Keurig stopped working or it simply quits working after a shorter period of time.
The same complaint was found in online reviews as well where almost 10% buyers complained about the same issue and want assistance in Keurig troubleshoot.
Most Keurig 2.0 problems also refer to the machine not working though you can fix this is you know how to reset Keurig 2.0.
Reason: The main reason for this Keurig malfunction with coffee machines is the quality of water you’re using.
If you’re using well water in these appliances, the chances are that being rich in a variety of minerals including Calcium, the debris can build within thin water lines of the coffee maker, making it difficult to work.
This means you’re not facing any kind of technical problem with the machine and it could easily be fixed and discouraged with care while using water.
- Throubleshoot Keurig coffee makers solution here is simple. In order to fix the problem Keurig coffee maker not working, you should try running the machine with water several times without a k-cup.
- If the Keurig malfunction is due to the calcium scaling in the machine, you can de-scale it with vinegar mixed with a lot of water and soaking it in the solution for half an hour. (This method is not recommended by the brand and using it might void your warranty). After that, flush the machine several times with fresh water and then try to start it.
- Also, cleaning the dispensing line with something like a paper clip (when the machine is turned off and unplugged) can be helpful in removing the leftover coffee grounds from it.
Another method is to blow air using a straw to give it a clean-up.
#2: Keurig machine not brewing:
Your mind will definitely blow up when you find that the sun of your kitchen – your coffee maker is not at all brewing.
Keurig not brewing is another common complaint from the users after my Keurig is not working, that most of the users have mentioned in their reviews.
According to troubleshoot Keurig coffee makers, this issue could arise for a single or a combination of these reasons.
Reason: The first prominent cause of Keurig machine not brewing is the deposit of debris within the machine.
If this is the reason alone, it will not brew your coffee and you will end up with bad flavor.
Some other reasons due to which your appliance might not be brewing include the:
- Air bubbles
- Machine pieces are not seated properly
- Insufficient warm-up time
- If the debris deposit is the primary reason, try using the above-mentioned fixes in the “Keurig not working” segment.
- For Air bubbles, fill the water reservoir to the brim and give it a few gentle shakes, when the machine is unplugged and switched off. This ensures the removal of all the air bubbles trapped within the machine that might be interfering with the brewing.
- The other thing that you can try for not brewing troubleshooting is checking if all the components or parts of the machine are seated properly, in their correct placement. Just give it a check and you might save a couple of bucks.
- Insufficient warm-up time will not allow the coffee to brew. Make sure that you’re allowing enough warm-up time.
If you’re facing the same problem with your Keurig mini and your Keurig mini not brewing, try using the above-mentioned fixes to minimize your problem as these are the best troubleshoot Keurig coffee makers solutions for this case.
#3: Keurig not dispensing:
Not dispensing water is another common issue with the Keurig coffee machines.
There are a number of customer reviews that can be found online complaining about the dispensing issue and wondering why is my Keurig not working to dispense water out.
Reason: This problem indicates that your machine is clogged so you might also experience Keurig leaking water when heating.
- To unclog the machine, try running a cup of water through it. You can also clean the needle, spout and the drain a Keurig coffee maker using a paper clip or something like that.
#4: Keurig water not coming out:
Water not coming out from the Keurig machine is another issue that many customers might face with their machines. Keurig leaking water when heating or the water not coming out happens for various reasons.
Reason: Partial water or no water coming out from the coffee maker is a result of clogged water line that causes a significant reduction in a brewing cycle.
So if you’re wondering why is my Keurig not brewing? — The answer is that you might have got your water line clogged.
The solution to this Keurig malfunction is thankfully really simple
- Operating the brewing cycle with simple water, just a few times, without k-cups can be helpful in fixing the issue.
- Also, de-scale the clogged water lines and the needles to remove all the excess grounds and debris that are preventing the water from coming out.
#5. Keurig not heating:
If you’re wondering why is my Keurig not working, there may be many reasons attached to it.
You should also know how to do troubleshooting and how to reset a Keurig so that you can come out of these malfunction situations. It’s also crucial you know all about Keurig 2.0 reset.
Following are some of the reasons attached to the ‘Keurig not heating’ issue:
Some people complain regarding issues like Keurig not drawing water, Keurig stuck on brewing, Keurig water not coming out, and Keurig not dispensing.
There may be a condition when your machine is dispensing water but not heating it.
This is because the heating mechanism of the Keurig isn’t working properly.
Following are the reasons that can cause Keurig not heating issues:
- The water pump is out of order and not functioning properly.
- The heating device inside the coffee maker shuts down due to overheating issues when water is not being pumped properly.
- Water pump is not working on maximum efficiency.
- Sometimes dirt and dried coffee get accumulated and cause clogging which results in Keurig malfunction.
- If you think that dirt, debris, or dried coffee has accumulated inside the coffee maker, you should clean it. You can learn How to clean a Keurig coffee maker.
- If the water pump is not working properly, you must be having ‘add water’ issues. You can avoid this by cleaning the water reservoir.
- Hold the brew button for a few seconds so that the water pump can work on its maximum efficiency.
- You might have to get the water pump repaired.
- If nothing helps, try using hot water for your coffee maker.
#6. Keurig Doesn’t Turn On Or Shuts Off In Between:
You might be feeling fussy because you had a bad start to your day? Is your machine not working?
This can be horrifying especially if the weather is too chilly and you don’t want your nose to frozen up.
Let’s find the reasons why your Keurig is not turning on. Keurig troubleshooting tips are discussed after the reasoning.
- Sometimes air or bubbles get trapped into some tubes and places where they shouldn’t be. While the machine is turned off, these things get clogged and make the switch button out of order.
- Sometimes the magnetic water reservoir is not properly sealed and this causes the coffee maker to remain switched off.
- Keurig is not getting enough time to warm up and the water isn’t getting hot enough.
- The water reservoir is not filled up properly.
- If your machine won’t turn on, make sure it is properly plugged in.
- Hold the power button and check if the power icon appears on the bottom of the screen along with a welcome note.
- If the icon doesn’t appear, there might be a problem with Keurig touchscreen.
#7. My Coffee Starts Tasting Bad:
Have you ever wondered why can coffee go bad?
Well, if you haven’t changed your coffee brand, you must consider what is causing your coffee to change its taste.
No one should experience bad-tasting coffee, especially if you’re someone who can’t live without it. .
There must be some reasons behind this issue too.
- The difference in taste mostly occurs due to the buildup of scaling in the coffee maker.
- Use of regular water or tap water for brewing can cause scaling to build up fast.
- Mineral build up can cause your coffee to start tasting odd.
- It’s necessary that your machine goes through a descaling or cleaning process every two to three months.
- The advanced models give you alerts when it needs descaling.
- Always use boiled or filtered water for brewing your coffee, because tap water has lots of residue and minerals that can accumulate in the machine and buildup scaling.
- Get a descaling product and clean your machine properly by de-assembling it and cleaning each and every part.
- There is a home remedy for cleaning your coffee machine, too. You can use a vinegar and water solution to clean the dirt, debris, and residue accumulated in the appliance.
#8. Keurig Won’t Reset:
If you want to know how to reset a Keurig and need guidance on Keurig 2.0 reset process, we’re here for you. Learning how to reset Keurig 2.0 is especially important if this is the machine you have at home.
Sometimes your machine may annoy you because it won’t reset. Though this is probably due to a Keurig malfunction issue, it can be solved easily.
However, if this Keurig malfunction continues, you must contact customer care as it might need a repair or replacement.
Learn about the reasons and then try the Keurig troubleshooting tips to get rid of this problem.
- The coffee maker isn’t put together properly or the magnetic reservoir isn’t sealed the right way.
- Air gets trapped between various parts of the machine and thus the malfunction occurs.
- There must be some problem with Keurig’s internal system . The computer or device may have stopped working properly.
- Turn it off and keep it unplugged for some minutes.
- Plug in the machine back and start a brew cycle again. If unplugging doesn’t work try the following steps.
- Remove the water reservoir before plugging the machine and keep the brewer unplugged for sometime without water and the reservoir attached.
- Plug and power the machine, and replace the reservoir.
- Opening and closing the K-cup holder will reset the appliance if the brew cycle was interrupted.
#9. Why Does The Keurig Machine Is Saying ‘Prime’?
Coffee maker owners often experience a situation when the machine starts giving a ‘Prime’ error message. The message usually appears when the water won’t come out of the reservoir.
This message is given when the water doesn’t come out of the reservoir.
The water fails to come out of the reservoir due to many reasons such as improper alignment or clogging. Luckily, this can be fixed easily.
Reason: The prime error message sometimes shows up when the reservoir is dirty. It might also appear if you experience problems such as Keurig leaking water when heating.
Potential Fix: To fix the issue you should clean the dirty reservoir.
When removing and replacing it, make sure that there aren’t any air bubbles inside and everything is properly aligned. .
After you’ve placed the water reservoir, run a water-only brew cycle to check whether the machine draws water or not.
Fill the water to max line in the reservoir and place an empty mug to fill in the water.
This way the machine will be flushed and it will start drawing water properly.
#10. Why my Keurig 2.0 is not turning on?
Don’t worry if your Keurig 2.0 is refusing to switch on as we have a solution to this problem too. Luckily, most Keurig 2.0 problems such as this one are easily fixable especially if you know how to reset Keurig 2.0.
Reason:Most machines don’t turn on if there is some problem with the power outlet.
- If one of the Keurig 2.0 problems you’re facing is your machine refusing to switch on, try out with another power outlet.
- If you know how to reset Keurig 2.0, you can also try that.
- We’re sure you have already tried plugging in and plugging out the wire so we won’t recommend you this.
- Also, make sure that the power button is switched on which is located at the lower right side of the LCD screen of the machine.
- If you have tried everything and problem with Keurig still persists, it’s time to contact the Keurig customer care service.
#11. Why Does The Keurig Give an Error Message ‘Add More Water’?
Reason: The ‘add more water’ error message mostly occurs due to the water reservoir issues. You might see this message if there are problems such as Keurig leaking water when heating.
This error can occur if you’re adding less water than required to.
- To solve the issue, fill the reservoir to the maximum line and then check whether the problem with Keurig persists or not.
- If the error message still appears on the screen, you’ll need to take out the reservoir to clean it. Clean the reservoir thoroughly using soap. Rinse it and then dry it properly using a cloth. Now place the reservoir back and fill it to the maximum line again. Turn on the Keurig 2.0 and check whether the error message is gone or not.
- However, don’t panic as this is one of the most common Keurig 2.0 problems fixable by Keurig 2.0 reset steps.
- If the error message still appears, there must be some issue with the programming and you’ll need to contact the Keurig customer care service.
A Potential Fix to All Other Keurig Coffee Maker Problems:
Being an electronics machine, Keurig can experience technical issues that might not be fixed with the above-mentioned solutions. These issues might include:
- Display fails to change from “not ready” to “ready”
- The machine failing to turn on
- It doesn’t heat
- Display freezing
- Loss of power prior to the completion of the brew cycle
- Keurig leaking water when heating
If you are facing any of these issues, a potential fix is to reset the machine. Keurig 2.0 reset might also be a good solution depending on the kind of machine you have.
If you are wondering how to reset it, here’s how you can do it:
Basic Resetting Keurig Coffee Maker:
- Turn the machine off and unplug it for a few hours.
- Remove the water reservoir from the machine and allow the brewer to sit unplugged for few minutes without water reservoir.
- Power the machine again and then replace the reservoir.
If this troubleshooting doesn’t work, try the advanced technique to reset the internal computer to resolve the glitches.
Though Keurig 2.0 reset is somewhat different, here’s how to use advanced resetting:
Advanced Resetting Keurig Coffee Maker:
- Simultaneously press the “small” and “medium” cups button and release them at the same time.
- Press the “Menu” button thrice immediately after the first step.
- The clock will read “6:09” if these steps are performed perfectly.
- After you see “6:09” on the display, press the “menu” button again.
- The display button would go to “brew 0:00″.
- Now, press the “Medium mug” button and then press and release “menu”, while still pressing the “medium mug” button.
- Press the small mug button, while continue holding the medium mug button, at the same time.
- Unplug the machine several times and plug it again.
This process will reset the internal computer of the machine, and all your issues would hopefully be solved.
Keurig 2.0 reset might be slightly different, so check with the manufacturer on how to reset Keurig 2.0.
Use this troubleshooting guide to fix all your coffee maker issues and enjoy your morning cup of joy. These troubleshoot Keurig coffee makers solutions are easy to follow so make sure to try them before contacting customer service.
Frequently Asked Questions About Keurig Coffee Maker Problems
No matter which type of coffee maker model you have, you’ll find a solution to fix it here.
This is because all the models of coffee maker have almost the same potential issues.
Please have a look at the frequently asked questions below and get your query solved in a minute:
1. Why do you descale a Keurig?
Our coffee makers are an excellent piece of machine that can brew fresh and hot coffee within some minutes.
However, we sometimes forget to give them their due attention.
Descaling is imperative to keep your appliance functional.
This is because this coffee maker has thin water lines which get easily jammed due to debris.
When these lines get clogged, you get little or no coffee.
The K-cup pin or the exit needle can also get clogged and it needs to be descaled.
Descaling is the process of cleaning or removing the buildup of mineral in the machine.
Hard water is more of a trouble for the coffee maker as it has more minerals than normal water, and it can make the water lines clogged easily.
So, if your machine isn’t working properly these days, don’t get deceived as there might be a mineral build-up inside if you haven’t descaled it for months.
If you don’t descale your Keurig coffee maker regularly, you might start facing any of these situations:
- The coffee maker not working.
- It won’t pump water from the reservoir.
- The amount of coffee it brews is too little.
- The coffee isn’t hot or tasty enough to enjoy.
2. How do you descale a Keurig 2.0 coffee machine?
The best solution is to buy a descaler designed specifically for removing the dirt and debris from a coffee maker
These descalers can easily remove the blockage without damaging the machine and they make it easier for the machines to perform at their maximum efficiencies.
You can use the descaling solution or rinse and follow the instructions on it to descale your Keurig coffee maker.
Always remember to rinse the machine with fresh water after descaling it because the descaling solution can cause build up too if not rinsed immediately.
The descaling solutions are made of chemicals and they can cut through the lime and scale easily. However, they are harmful too as they can leave their effect or scent in the water lines.
3. What can you use instead of descaling solution?
If you don’t have a descaling solution, and you want enjoy a cup of coffee immediately, we have lots of other tricks to help you out.
The good news is that you can easily prepare a natural descaling solution at your home and get your machine working in a few minutes.
One should keep in mind that there is a difference between descaling and cleaning.
The limescale that builds up inside the water lines of the machine need to be scaled without reaching them, and for this, it’s important to use a descaler.
We will recommend our readers to use natural descaling products as the chemicals in a descaling solution can harm the machine and can affect the taste of your coffee too.
Following are some effective natural remedies for descaling your coffee maker:
Vinegar is one of the strongest and most effective products that can easily remove the scaling, clogging, and any type of debris that accumulated in the water lines.
The good thing is that it is very easily available and is very cheap too. Also, you can use it to clean the exterior of the machine just as easily.
The acidic nature of vinegar can cut through all the lime and dirt and easily remove the unwanted minerals that accumulate in the machine.
Thus, vinegar is the best descaler and you can use it to make your coffee maker functional as soon as possible.
Another natural remedy for descaling your coffee machine is baking soda.
To use baking soda for descaling, you must dissolve it in water otherwise it can clog in the water lines and cause different problems with Keurig.
Baking soda will not leave any type of taste or scent after leaving the machine and thus it is considered an ideal descaler for the coffee machines.
On top of that, baking soda is inexpensive and probably present in your house all the time.
You can use this descaling product to make your machine work as well as the first day.
Just like vinegar, lemon juice is also used to clean various parts of the machines, and you can use it to clean your coffee maker too.
However, you’ll need to use many lemons to descale your machine as only one or two won’t be of help.
If you don’t like squeezing lemons, you can buy already made lemon juice and use it for descaling.
This descaler will clear up all the blockage and scale build up in the water lines so that you can brew your coffee easily with a good flow.
4. Can a Keurig be repaired?
The appliance can be easily repaired no matter how big the problem is.
There are issues such as the coffee maker not working, water leakage, it isn’t pumping water from the reservoir, the coffee is tasting odd, Keuring doesn’t turn on, Keurig auto on not working, and many more.
There are different solutions for each of the problem with Keurig and you can browse through all the problems and FAQ listed in this post to fix your machine
The main problems which most of our readers face are these:
- Air bubbles in the water lines.
- The various components of the machine aren’t properly fixed or seated and thus the machine doesn’t work properly.
- Build up of scale or the presence of dirt and debris that leads to clogging in the line.
- The warm-up time isn’t sufficient and the coffee comes out cold or not too hot.
- The coffee maker isn’t properly working due to unknown reasons.
- The machine is brewing too little coffee.
- The coffee has suddenly started to taste bad.
- There’s some leakage in the coffee maker which is making it difficult to perform.