Does anyone else’s fridge just feel like a gigantic black hole sometimes? No? Just me? It can be so overwhelming at times. Now, Ryan is the main chef at our house. So it’s hard to criticize when I’m getting practically gourmet meals every day, but I’m the organizer in the marriage and we have very different ideas of how the fridge should actually look. Sometimes Instagram recommends videos to me that are all about fridge organization and I just can’t help but feel it’s completely unrealistic: the person’s fridge itself is two times the size of ours for example, or they have a stay-at-home partner who can devote more attention to house care than I am able (or wanting) to. All this being said though, there are a lot of fridge organization tools out there that are both (1) accessible and (2) functional; there doesn’t have to be this idea out there about organized fridges exclusively belonging to elite Instagram influencers, after all.
In part two of our “Kitchen Storage Hacks” series, we’re focusing on all things fridge. From how to store your vegetables and eggs to how to maximize space, these are the fridge organization gadgets and tips you’ve been looking for! Check out the other blogs in this series while you’re at it:
- Kitchen Storage Hacks, part 1: The Pantry
- Kitchen Storage Hacks, part 3: Drawers (will be updated!)
- Kitchen Storage Hacks, part 4: Cupboards (will be updated!)
Benefits of Fridge Organization
Keeping a well-organized fridge is about more than feeling calm when you open it, though that’s certainly a benefit. Here are other advantages of maintaining a well-organized fridge:
- Reduced food waste: When you can see what food you have in your fridge, you are less likely to forget about it and let it go bad. A well-organized fridge can help you keep track of expiration dates and use up your food before it goes to waste.
- Improved food safety: Keeping your fridge organized can help you ensure that your food is stored at the correct temperature and in the right conditions. This can help reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses.
- Time-saving: When your fridge is organized, you can easily find what you need without having to search through cluttered shelves and drawers. This can save you time when you are preparing meals or trying to grab a quick snack.
- Better visibility: By organizing your fridge, you can see all the food you have available and make better meal planning decisions. This can also help you avoid overbuying and wasting money on food that you don’t need.
- Healthier eating habits: When you have healthy food options readily available and easily visible, you are more likely to make healthier choices. A well-organized fridge can help you keep healthy food options at the forefront of your mind.
Overall, keeping a well-organized fridge can help reduce food waste, improve food safety, save time, promote healthier eating habits, and make it easier to find what you need. Today’s blog is going to recommend the products that can help all this happen through fridge organization!
Fridge Storage Containers
We like to have a clean fridge, and you read the benefits of fridge organization up above. One tool that can really help with this, believe it or not, is actually a fridge mat.
Refrigerator liners can provide several benefits, including:
- Easy to clean: Fridge liners help keep spills, stains, and odors contained, making them easy to clean. You can remove the liners and wash them separately, rather than having to clean the entire fridge.
- Protection from scratches and damage: Fridge liners can protect your fridge shelves from scratches, scuffs, and other damage that can be caused by heavy or sharp objects.
- Improved hygiene: Fridge liners can help prevent the growth of bacteria, mold, and other germs that can build up in the fridge over time.
- Enhanced organization: Fridge liners can make it easier to organize your fridge and keep it tidy. You can use them to create compartments for different types of food, or to separate food items that may be prone to leaking or spilling.
- Cost-effective: Fridge liners are relatively inexpensive and can extend the lifespan of your fridge by protecting it from damage and maintaining its cleanliness.
Overall, fridge liners can help keep your fridge clean, organized, and hygienic, while also protecting it from damage and extending its lifespan.
Here are two products we recommend for this element of fridge organization.
These washable refrigerator mats come in a variety of colors; you can choose for your twelve pack to be all white, blue, green, or red, OR you can choose to receive a 12-pack with blue, green, and red. We also love the versatility of this product. Let’s say you don’t need all 12 in the fridge; if that’s the case, then you can use them in a cupboard, cabinet, or drawer — or even as a placemat! They are 17.7″×11.6″, which is pre-cut for standard fridges or two per shelf for larger ones; you can also trim them to fit any area. The non-toxic material is 100% food grade EVA, odor free, BPA free, and safe to contact with food. The nonslip design means the smooth side faces down to grip the shelves and the dotted side faces up to prevent sticking to the foods.
With almost 15,000 reviews, this product is one that has certainly proven its worth.
Choose a multipack with green, blue, pink, and clear, or opt for simple with all eight refrigerator liners being clear. These mats for fridge organization are made from premium food-grade EVA material, so you don’t need to worry in the slightest about them being around your food. The dot textured design provides grip and prevents items from sliding around; however, the design doesn’t grip so much that it’s hard to remove them when it’s time for the fridge liners to be washed. These mats measure 17.7″ by 11.4″. We also love that Linda’s Essentials provides a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not completely satisfied, then return the refrigerator mats for a hassle-free, full refund.
With more than 6,000 ratings, these refrigerator liners are already boasting an impressive 4.5/5 average rating.
Now, in a blog about fridge organization, we can’t just completely ignore the front of the fridge! If your fridge-front has turned into a mess of magnets and photos, we’re actually not saying there are any problems with that! That’s how our fridge is and it brings us joy every day to see photos that make us happy and magnets from past trips. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t increase the organization with some helpful tools.
Drink Storage Containers
Drinks taking up space in the fridge? Not a problem with these drink storage containers!
We love the versatility of this freezer bin! Sure, it may have been designed initially for the freezer, but what’s to stop you from using this in the fridge, pantry, or cupboards as well? You can choose between 12″- or 15″-inch options AND you can even bundle it with a design that’s designed specifically for the fridge — complete with wheels and grippers on the bottom. If you’re someone who uses pre-made curry packets, vegetable bags, fruit bags, or what-have-you, then this is a great option for fridge organization because you can easily see all the contents and they won’t be piling on top of each other all over the place (trust us: we’ve been there).
Now, we recognize that this isn’t quite freezer storage at all. However, our family likes to use gallon size bags to make pre-made smoothie mixes or even just freeze fruit that’s about to go bad (we’re looking at you, bananas). We also try to be environmentally conscious though, whether that means we use our sustainable gallon-size bags or we simply reuse the same plastic gallon bags time and time again. When I’m washing out these bags, the biggest pain is then getting them to dry. Fortunately, this drying rack for storage bags makes that easy. You can choose different colors and they even have multipacks.
You want your produce to stay fresh, but you also don’t want it to spoil in the abyss of a fridge. These storage tools can help.
Home Kitchenary: More Than Just Fridge Organization
Here at Home Kitchenary, we aim to be your premier product review website for all things home. Check out our product reviews, recommendations, and posts for kitchen, coffee, gardening, bedroom, and bathroom.
We’ve been putting a lot of work into this series on kitchen organization, and we hope you’re enjoying it! Check back in for our upcoming posts on drawer and cupboard organization as well! Let us know in the comments if you buy any of these products — or if there are additional products or topics you want us to highlight.