You might be familiar with this famous Abraham Lincoln quote: “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” We have that same mentality here at Home Kitchenary. We know that with the upcoming spring we’ll have more than six hours of cleaning, so we want to help you sharpen your axe, or in this case, get the proper cleaning products and tools to help you work more efficiently. Here at Home Kitchenary, we’re more than just blog writers. We’re humans with our own households, which means we’ll be spring cleaning just like you. And as much as we love a clean home, we don’t love working hours on end to get it there. We’re continually searching for the best cleaning products we can use to clean our home in the least amount of time. If you are looking for ways to improve your spring cleaning routine, take a look at these tips and items below. We’re sure you’ll find something that will help your household!
Cleaning 3 Different Floor Materials: Carpet, Hardwood, & Linoleum
During the winter months, our shoes drag in large amounts of dirt, water, and other natural debris. Even if we are religious with taking off our shoes at the entrance, the winter months are quite dirty to our floors. Whether you have hardwood floors that are suffering from the ice and snow of the cold months or your carpet has collected loads of dust, you’ll find these cleaning products and tips help you clean your house.
If you’ve ever wondered why spring cleaning is even a thing, here’s a short history lesson. For centuries, people used fires and wood stoves to cook in and warm their homes. During the winter months, the constant use would produce a lot of ash and smoke in the home, even with chimneys. As a result, the winter months, on top of the snow and ice, created very dirty living conditions. After the last snow storm, people would traditionally clean out their home to eliminate all the smoke, ash, dust, and dirt. Hence the tradition of spring cleaning!
And while you may not be a fan of all the work spring cleaning takes (nor does your home get the same amount of ash and smoke as in days of old), it’s important for your home’s longevity as well as your health to give it a deep clean. Just like the days where you need a long, hot shower to feel clean, so your house needs some extra attention to detail here and there.
Cleaning Products for Carpets
When it comes to spring cleaning your carpet, we recommend several tips and tools. And while hiring a professional is definitely a recommendation, it doesn’t fit into many people’s budgets, including ours. Cleaning your carpet will cost you money and time regardless, and the benefits of regular cleaning outweigh the costs. Regular cleaning can make your carpet’s life last years longer with proper care. So with that in mind, take a look at these carpet-cleaning products you should use this spring.
- Vacuum: While this might sound like a no-brainer, this is a big one when it comes to carpet care. This isn’t just your normal daily vacuuming either; this is a deep clean. Move your couch, your chairs, your coffee table. Use the attachments with your vacuum and get into those tricky areas you normally avoid. We’re talking about the corners and cracks of each room. You’ll be surprised to find how much gunk your vacuum picks up in those areas. We also recommend vacuuming not once, but twice (at least) to really freshen up your carpet. If your vacuum isn’t quite picking up dirt like it used to, we recommend several vacuums below that will make this task easier.
- Carpet Cleaner: When your carpets are free of dust, hair, and dirt, it is the perfect time to use a carpet cleaner. If you’ve followed our tips, your furniture will already be out of the way and you’ll be ready to quickly deep clean your carpets. A carpet cleaner is vital in the care of your carpets as it pulls out even more dirt as well as helps maintain your carpet. Poorly managed carpets are more likely to be damaged, leading to a shorter life span. Below are some of the best carpet cleaners on the market, but if you’re not in the buying mood, consider renting one at one of your nearby stores.
Cleaning Products for Hardwood & Linoleum Floors
You’ve very likely been sweeping throughout winter time keeping your house clean, but as spring time approaches you may be shocked by how much dirt has escaped your notice. Part of it may be due to less natural light, which makes dust and dirt harder to find, but it may also be due to the cold weather making you less likely to mop and clean deeply in general. Whatever it may be in your house, you’ll find that come April/May your hardwood floors will deserve a deep clean. And remember, it’s not just for them to look good; proper maintenance of your floors will result in saving money further down the road when repairs and replacements come up.
Tips for Cleaning Hardwood & Linoleum Floors
- Pick up loose dirt and dust with a vacuum, microfiber mop, or broom with split tips.
- Determine whether your floors are protected with a surface or penetrating finish.
- Pick a hardwood floor cleaner specially designed for your floor finish.
- Spray the cleaner on the floors and mop in the direction of the floorboards.
- Remove deep stains, grease, and scuff marks.
I’m More Than a Blogger
I love writing, but rarely do I find myself with enough time to devote myself fully to it. Rather, I’m often cooking, cleaning, and desperately trying to keep my house together. Between my job, my family, and my dog, I often feel like I’m spread thin when it comes to keeping things clean. However, that is why I write. I’m constantly hunting and searching for better ways to clean my home. Whether it’s through new cleaning products, powerful cleaning solutions, or more efficient techniques, I’m always open to ways to improve my routine. I hope my recommendations can make your home and kitchen a happy and enjoyable experience. If you find any of these tools useful or know of any others please comment below and share your thoughts.
Check out our other cleaning and home maintenance blogs while you’re here:
- Winter Wonderland or Safety Hazard? Must-Have Home Tools for Winter
- Make Room for the Roomba — 2022 Robot Vacuums
- Spring Clean Your Body – Smoothies for a New You
- 9 Best Dyson Vacuum Cleaners of 2022 – Buyer’s Guide
- 12 Best Shark Vacuum Cleaners of 2022 – Buyer’s Guide